Crossing the Border into Austria

Wombats City Hostel
Wombats City Hostel "The Lounge", Vienna, Austria

Happy Birthday Dad. I really miss you and wish you were still here with us so you could see how my life has turned out and be proud of me. I wish I could tell you all about my adventures and the countries I have seen since I started this trip almost three months ago.

Heading into Vienna today where I will be for the next four days. We were supposed to leave Cesky Krumlov at 12:30 but the bus didn’t arrive until 1:00. Ended up not leaving until 2:00. I already have a feeling it’s going to be a long day. I really didn’t want to leave Cesky. It’s the kind of place that you can see yourself staying in forever. Or at least that is how I felt. It’s such a relaxing and laid back place.

While on the bus, we had to go through the Czech border and cross over into the Austrian border. That was a nightmare. We didn’t have a problem leaving Czech. We had someone from the border patrol board the bus and look at everyone’s passport. That was it. The nightmare began when we got ready to enter Austria. The border patrol made us wait forever before they boarded the bus to look at our passports. Then they took a couple of guys off the bus so they could search through their bags. One of the guys they took off the bus was Dale.

Finally, we were able to go into Austria. Made it into Vienna at 7:00 when we were due to arrive at 4:30.  When we arrived at the hostel, there was a problem with our room. We were supposed to stay at Wombat’s (the city hostel) but we could only stay one night and then we would have to move to another hostel for the next night and then back to Wombat’s on the third night. I shared a room with Murua (New Zealand) and Sue (San Francisco).  I had met them on the bus from Cesky. The room we shared was a three bedded dorm room with it’s own bathroom. I wish I could have stayed here the entire time and not have to move to another room. When we checked into this room, we got vouchers for a beer so we went downstairs to the bar and got our free beer which was in a small glass. I sat in the bar for awhile and then headed upstairs to the room where I read for awhile before falling asleep.