Rome for the Day

Throwing a Coin into the Trevi Fountain
Throwing a Coin into the Trevi Fountain

Today was such a busy day and I managed to see quite a bit of Rome. Well, again, everyday I have been travelling has been pretty busy. Minus those few days when it was pretty slow. I hung out with Kay, Renata and Ye and we pretty much walked everywhere instead of taking a metro. We wanted to see as much of Rome as possible since I will only be spending two full days here.

We had to take the train and then switch onto the metro to get to Vatican City which would be our first stop. We got there early thinking there wouldn’t be too much of a line to get in but were we wrong! The line must have been a full city block or at least it seemed that way. It took us twenty minutes to get into the Vatican. The only thing I really wanted to see was the Sistine Chapel. That was really amazing. Having to crane your neck up so you can see Michelangelo’s work on the ceiling. It is done panel by panel and it’s hard to keep looking up at it trying to take in every detail of his work. Then we headed to St. Peter’s Square where the Pope is giving his speech on Easter. After getting there, we sat outside for awhile before walking into St. Peter’s Basilica where I took a couple of photos. Then onto the Pantheon which is dome shaped on the inside. While inside the Pantheon, we heard singing. The place has great acoustics for singing. Upon leaving the Pantheon, we headed to the Trevi Fountain which is bigger then I thought it would be. While there, I had to throw a coin in the fountain. So I threw a coin over my shoulder to ensure my return to Rome. Also threw a second coin over my shoulder in hopes of finding my one true love.

After throwing coins in the fountain, we realized we were hungry, so we were now in search of food. We found a restaurant where I ordered canneloni. After dinner, we decided to try and see the spanish steps. We found the steps and walked over to them but were too tired to climb up to the top. Decided they could wait for tomorrow. Took the metro back to the train station in hopes that we wouldn’t miss the last shuttle back to the camp but we did miss it. Ended up having to walk back to the camp which, for us, wasn’t too far from where the shuttle would have picked us up. After making it back to camp, I logged onto the net for half an hour until I headed back to my cabin to sleep. It had been a long day of walking and sightseeing.